We are currently looking for a Part-Time Junior/Entry-Level Editor on our Content Team. This is a great opportunity to edit smart, fun articles in the creepy, weird, entertainment, and viral verticals everyday for a leading entertainment website, which also happens to be in the top 50 in all internet websites in the United States. Don't take our word for it, check it out at https://www.quantcast.com/ranker.com.
Despite all this traffic, we do this with a small, talented team of 13 editors and about 80 freelance writers who love creating fun, interesting content everyday. We built up our traffic the right way, by creating lists and stories that people love reading and sharing steadily over the past 6 years. Here are some examples of articles that our Junior Editors create:
Weird trivia: http://www.ranker.com/list/how-they-do-that-pictures/kellen-perry
Funny stories: http://www.ranker.com/list/worst-restaurant-customer-stories/michael-choi
Pop Culture: http://www.ranker.com/list/kanye-west-breakdown-explanations/jacob-shelton
Want to get your career started as a content website editor? Here’s how you’ll know if this is the right opportunity for you:
First, what’s in it for you:
- Get your career started with a REAL job with a genuine career track.
- Work in a very casual workplace (ie t-shirts and shorts are totally fine) with a fully stocked kitchen including free snacks, soda, Perrier, Mexican Coca Cola; we also do catered lunches and breakfast weekly, and free massages every other week.
- Located conveniently in the Mid-Wilshire district, minutes from Beverly Hills, Miracle Mile, and the 10 Freeway.
- Daily collaboration with our Senior and Associate Editors on our Content team, where you’ll learn to edit and publish a high volume of daily content at a fast pace.
Who we believe will do great in this role:
Although this is an entry/junior-level position, we created this position for those looking to get a really good foundation for their career for future growth, whether at Ranker or elsewhere (of course, if you’re good, we really want you to grow at Ranker). With that in mind, we tend to focus on those candidates that have:
- At least interned in the field of digital media, specifically Entertainment, Viral, Sports, Video games, Culture, Horror, and/or other relevant verticals. Additional work experience as a copy editor is a plus.
- Photo skills - picking great images, cropping, etc.
- The ability to work quickly without sacrificing quality.
- Please keep in mind that this is a content writing/editing job - those looking for video should please check out our other positions.
- We are also only considering those who are currently based in Los Angeles - this is an in-office position, high-touch content editing role. We will not consider candidates that are not currently in the Los Angeles area.
- If you're not currently in Los Angeles, we would strongly suggest you check out our our open freelance writer jobs that we have posted on our site at http://jobs.ranker.com.
If this sounds exciting, here's what we need from you:
- At least 3 writing and/or editorial samples that you’re proud of, as well as (if applicable) links to any social media properties you've helped program (you can put these links in your portfolio, or include them in your cover letter).
- A cover letter giving color/examples of how you meet and exceed the qualifications listed above. And yes, we are looking at your cover letter to get an idea of your writing style, so smart, funny letters really stand out.
- As we are a site with lists about literally everything, and we like editors who know lots about lots of things, it is also super helpful if you list in your cover letter any areas of expertise you have, from the broad to the "pretty granular.”
**SORRY, NO RECRUITERS**
Ranker is a data-driven media company, the #1 online destination for opinion-based, crowdsourced rankings of everything. The company's technology is centered on user engagement, turning its lists into the “best possible rankings” via the wisdom of crowds. A Quantcast Top 50 site, Ranker attracts more than 40 million monthly unique visitors, and outperforms almost every other publisher in time-on-site per visit. As a result, Ranker is a treasure-trove of consumer sentiment data with more than 250 million votes gathered to date on over 100,000 unique items, generating a deep and precise interest graph which the company launched as a B2B tool in 2016 to augment the existing ad-based business. Ranker is headquartered in Los Angeles, California.
Ranker will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.