We are currently looking for a Data Scientist Intern to join our Data Analytics team. As a Data Scientist Intern, you will get practical experience analyzing the millions of data points that are collected in combination with various 3rd party data sources for a leading entertainment website, which also happens to be in the top 50 in all internet websites in the United States. Don't take our word for it, check it out at https://www.quantcast.com/ranker.com.
In particular, you will be working on our newly-launched Ranker Insights platform (https://insights.ranker.com/), which is a B2B product that delivers data-driven audience insights to key decision makers responsible for marketing decisions.
First, what’s in it for you:
- Paid internship, as well as university credit if needed
- Get practical experience working with very large data sets and analytics, while working closely with our Chief Data Officer
- Very casual workplace (ie t-shirts and shorts are totally fine) with a fully stocked kitchen including free snacks, soda, Perrier, Mexican Coca Cola; we also do catered lunches and breakfast weekly, and free massages every other week.
- Located conveniently in the Mid-Wilshire district, minutes from Beverly Hills, Miracle Mile, and the 10 Freeway
What you will be doing:
- Extract data from our database, identify data sources that are needed to supplement any analysis, merge data from outside sources/APIs, and perform the required analyses.
- Communicate the results of these analyses internally, to potential clients, or in written format via our blog.
- Collaborate with our Data, Engineering, and Product teams to create additional features for our Ranker Insights platform.
What we’re looking for:
- Experience and skill working with SQL, scripting languages (e.g. PHP or Python), and statistical packages (e.g. R) is required
- Working knowledge of machine learning is preferred
- Experience with MongoDB and Hadoop is preferred
- Entertainment industry knowledge or experience is preferred
- Masters, Ph.D., or comparable experience creating and disseminating research findings is preferred
If this sounds exciting, here's what we need from you:
Besides a current resume and compensation requirements, it is also helpful if you could also give us examples of analyses that you have done in the past.
Ranker is a data-driven media company, the #1 online destination for opinion-based, crowdsourced rankings of everything. The company's technology is centered on user engagement, turning its lists into the “best possible rankings” via the wisdom of crowds. A Quantcast Top 50 site, Ranker attracts more than 30 million monthly unique visitors, and outperforms almost every other publisher in time-on-site per visit. As a result, Ranker is a treasure-trove of consumer sentiment data with more than 250 million votes gathered to date on over 100,000 unique items, generating a deep and precise interest graph which the company is launching as a B2B tool in 2016 to augment the existing ad-based business. Ranker is headquartered in Los Angeles, California.
Ranker will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.