We are currently looking for an Associate Editor on our Content Team. This is a great opportunity to edit smart, fun articles in a wide range of verticals (including pop culture, sports, video games, weird history facts, etc.) everyday for a leading entertainment website, which also happens to be in the top 50 in all internet websites in the United States. Don't take our word for it, check it out at https://www.quantcast.com/ranker.com.
Despite all this traffic, we do this with a small, talented team of 15 editors and about 80 freelance writers who love creating fun, interesting content everyday. We built up our traffic the right way, by creating lists and stories that people love reading and sharing steadily over the past 6 years. Here are some examples of lists we create:
Weird History: http://www.ranker.com/list/viking-berserker-facts/philgibbons
Want to be part of our editorial team? Here’s how you’ll know if you’re going to love this job:
First, what’s in it for you:
- Have a REAL job with a genuine career track. This isn't a freelance gig...it's a real job with regular salary paid twice a month, with benefits and potential for equity.
- Speaking of benefits, we offer fully-paid medical, plus heavily subsidized voluntary dental and vision plans.
- 10 paid holidays, plus an additional days of paid time off per year.
- Very casual workplace (ie t-shirts and shorts are totally fine) with a fully stocked kitchen including free snacks, soda, Perrier, LeCroix, Mexican Coca Cola; we also do catered lunches and breakfast weekly, and free massages every other week.
- Located conveniently in the Mid-Wilshire district, minutes from Beverly Hills, Miracle Mile, and the 10 Freeway.
- Daily collaboration with a smart, talented, and funny group of editors in a writer-friendly environment (ie quiet).
- The fun of keeping up with viral trends on the Internet to generate creative and compelling ideas for smart, fun lists across all topics.
- Opportunity to assign and edit list topics to freelance writers to produce clever, funny, A-list quality work in a fast-paced environment and follow them through their life cycle on social media.
Who we believe will do great in this role:
All our successful Associate Editors have been able to hit the ground running, so realistically, you’ll have to have some commercial editing experience, especially for a fast-paced, content-driven website (ie being responsible for generating several articles a day). In addition, we tend to focus on those candidates that have:
- At least 1 year of actual commercial experience as an editor in Entertainment, Viral, Video games, Culture, Horror, and/or other relevant verticals. Experience assigning and managing assignments, especially with multiple freelancers.
- Photo skills - picking great images, cropping, etc. Creative photoshop skills a plus.
- Broader entertainment knowledge in celebrity, music, sports, games, comics is a MAJOR plus.
- We are also only considering those who are currently based in Los Angeles - this is an in-office position, high-touch content editing role. We will not consider candidates that are not currently in the Los Angeles area.
- Also, please keep in mind that this is a content writing/editing job - those looking for video should please check out our other positions.
- If you don’t have any commercial experience, and/or you’re not currently in Los Angeles, we would strongly suggest you check out our Junior Editor role and/or our open freelance writer jobs that we have posted on our site at http://blog.ranker.com/jobs.
If this sounds exciting, here's what we need from you:
- At least 3 writing and/or editorial samples that you’re proud of, as well as (if applicable) links to any social media properties you've helped program (you can put these links in your portfolio, or include them in your cover letter).
- A cover letter giving color/examples of how you meet and exceed the qualifications listed above. And yes, we are looking at your cover letter to get an idea of your writing style, so smart, funny letters really stand out.
- As we are a site with lists about literally everything, and we like editors who know lots about lots of things, it is also super helpful if you list in your cover letter any areas of expertise you have, from the broad to the "pretty granular.”
**SORRY, NO RECRUITERS**
Ranker is a data-driven media company, the #1 online destination for opinion-based, crowdsourced rankings of everything. The company's technology is centered on user engagement, turning its lists into the “best possible rankings” via the wisdom of crowds. A Quantcast Top 50 site, Ranker attracts more than 30 million monthly unique visitors, and outperforms almost every other publisher in time-on-site per visit. As a result, Ranker is a treasure-trove of consumer sentiment data with more than 250 million votes gathered to date on over 100,000 unique items, generating a deep and precise interest graph which the company is launching as a B2B tool in 2016 to augment the existing ad-based business. Ranker is headquartered in Los Angeles, California.
Ranker will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.